Donating to Post 352

Our post receives  donations from members, friends of the American Legion, and estates of members and friends.  We also receive monetary gifts in lieu of flowers for funerals of veterans.  Business and corporate donors can also donate to the American Legion as a gift to a charity (501[c][19] war veterans charity).

If you would like to make a cash donation to the Gilbert Lindsay American Legion Post 352 in Carson California, please make your check payable to

American Legion Post 352

Gifts of real or personal property (collectables and items of significant value) are also accepted.

A question sometimes comes up with regard to a donor gift being tax deductible.  The designation 501(c)(19) is confusing to some who hear of 501(c)(3) organizations.  There are other tax deductible charities recognized by the government in IRS Publication 501.

The American Legion is federally chartered and is a 501(c)(19)  War Veterans non-profit organization.  Post 352 is incorporated in the State of California as a war veterans non-profit organization and we are chartered by the American Legion National organization as a member of the Department of California, American Legion.  We, too, are a 501(c)(19) war veterans organization.

We are tax exempt and donations to our post are fully tax deductible on donor tax returns as charitable donations.  Here is the IRS rule:

  • 501(c)(19)
  • A separately created category for veterans’ organizations is the 501(c)(19) classification. Generally, contributions to 501(c)(19) organizations are deductible as charitable donations for federal income tax purposes if at least 90% of the members are war veterans. (Those veterans’ organizations that still have a 501(c)(4) ruling are also eligible to receive contributions deductible as charitable donations.)

100% of our members are war veterans (served in the U.S. Armed Forces during a designated period of military conflict).

All donations to our post are acknowledged with a letter stating the amount received.

To better understand the difference between Tax Exempt and Tax Deductible, see IRS Publication 3386

Continuing to serve America